Since 14-month old Vee would be watching television programs someday, I am doing my homework by screening appropriate ones for him. Last month, I had the privilege of having dinner with the Playhouse Disney team to understand more about the thinking and planning done behind its programs. My verdict: Yes, Vee would be watching the Playhouse Disney channel (together with me) when he is older!
Fit Fit Hurray: Health-Themed Programs
Tomorrow (1 May 2010), Saturday from 9.30a.m. to 1.30p.m., stay tuned to Playhouse Disney (in Kuala Lumpur: Astro Channel 613) to catch health-themed episodes of your preschoolers’ favourite series.
Additionally, four special short-form programs – Mickey Mousekersize, Dance-a-lot Robot, Tasty Time with Zefronk and Adventures in Nutrition with Captain Carlos – will also be aired throughout the day for the little ones’ enjoyment!
I have previewed two of the programs and here is my take on them:
Hosted by Mickey Mouse, Mickey Mousekersize focuses on the fun of exercising and encourages kids at home to get up and move along with Mickey and pals.
My views: It encourages children to exercise through bending and stretching to music. Vee loves dancing to music and this is something he would enjoy. To reap full benefits from the segment, a parent (or caregiver) ought to watch it with the child, demonstrate the exercise and encourage him/her to move. This way, Mummy or Daddy gets to exercise too!
Adventures in Nutrition with Captain Carlos spotlights a six-year-old boy who shows how healthy meals and regular physical activity make him feel like a superhero.
My views: Fussy-eaters should watch this. It educates children to build healthy eating habits such as avoiding junk food and choosing healthy snacks. For instance, the episode that I previewed shares that carrots are good for eyesight.
- Commercial-free channel
- The team encourages co-viewing and recognises its benefits
- Carefully chosen programs based on the Whole Child Curriculum
What can be improved:
- Extend the health-themed programs to longer than 5 minutes each (Good things are never enough, ha!)
Win Your Own
During my dinner with Playhouse Disney, I received a goodie bag packed with what else but goodies! Beautiful fabric shopping bag, large and small aprons for craftwork, poster on road signs, and more.
THREE (3) lucky subscribers will win a set of exclusive Playhouse Disney goodies each (something like the ones I received)! This is how to participate:
- Send an email to me with the following information:
- Your name
- Facebook nickname, if any
- Watch the Fit Fit Hurray programs with your preschooler. Tell me which is his/her favourite program and why.
- If you are a new reader, mention how you got to know of this Giveaway
- Blog / Website URL, if any
- To get EXTRA entries:
- 1 extra entry: Become Mummy’s Reviews™ fan on Facebook (existing fans counted)
- 1 extra entry (unlimited total): For each participant referred by you (e.g. through sharing the Giveaway on Facebook)
- 3 extra entries: Share this Giveaway on your blog / website
- This Giveaway is open to subscribers with a mailing address in Singapore or West Malaysia.
- It will run until 15 May 2010.
- The usual Giveaway Terms apply.
Send in your entries now and good luck!
Fit Fit Hurray Programs Schedule
9.55a.m. Mickey Mousekersize
10.25a.m. Dance-a-lot Robot
10.55a.m. Tasty Time with Zefronk
11.25a.m. Adventures in Nutrition with Captain Carlos
11.55a.m. Tasty Time with Zefronk
12.25p.m. Dance-a-lot Robot
12.55p.m. Adventures in Nutrition with Captain Carlos
About Playhouse Disney
Playhouse Disney is the first preschool-learning channel in Asia specially designed for kids aged two to five, their parents and caregivers. Based on the Whole Child Curriculum, the commercial-free service combines award-winning preschool programs and locally produced hosted activity segments which engage and stimulate preschoolers’ imagination and learning in a fun and creative environment. Playhouse Disney is available in ten markets in the Asia Pacific – Brunei, Cambodia, Hong Kong, Indonesia, Korea, Malaysia, the Philippines, Singapore, Thailand and Vietnam. For programming information, log on to www.playhousedisneychannel-asia.com.
Disclosure: I attended a dinner organised by Playhouse Disney for parent bloggers to understand more about the channel and received a goodie bag.